Non-compliance for an individual :
- denying access or otherwise impeding efforts of an AIT officer to conduct an inspection – Section 51(1) of the Act and
- working in a compulsory certification trade without the necessary qualifications – Sections 21(3) and (4) of the Act.
To work legally in a compulsory certification trade an individual must have one of the following:
- a recognized trade certificate issued from a recognized regulatory authority (These credentials are described in the recognized credentials section of Tradesecrets),
- a valid registered apprenticeship status in the trade,
- an active AIT program applicant status for a trade certificate or the apprenticeship program, or
- satisfy the requirements of a valid exemption under the Act (such as an authorization or an exemption regulation).