Apprentice Training Award
The Apprentice Training Award is a $1,000 financial award for registered apprentices who are “Unemployed in the Trade” and attending second, third or fourth period technical training at an Alberta-approved technical training provider, on or after August 1st, 2016.
This financial award is geared toward helping apprentices not employed in their trade by providing financial assistance to help offset the costs of completing technical training. This award is part of the Government of Alberta’s Future Ready initiative.
To be eligible, an apprentice must:
- be registered in the Alberta apprenticeship program for at least 30 consecutive days immediately prior to the start of technical training,
- be registered in a second, third or fourth period technical training class at an approved training provider on or after August 1, 2016,
- be "Unemployed in the Trade" for at least 30 consecutive days immediately prior to the start of technical training, and
- not be a previous Apprentice Training Award recipient for the same training period.
”Unemployed in the Trade” means the apprentice does not have an employer holding their Contract of Apprenticeship. For apprentices registered with the Boilermakers or Ironworkers Apprenticeship Administration Agency, “Unemployed in the Trade” is defined as being on the out-of-work list. Talk with an agency apprenticeship coordinator for more details.
How do I apply?
- AIT will notify you if you may be eligible on your first day* of technical training. A notice will also appear on the homepage of your MyTradesecrets account.
- To apply, you must provide your consent, Social Insurance Number, and declare that you were “Unemployed in the Trade” for at least 30 consecutive days immediately prior to attending technical training. If you are attending technical training between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017, this information must be provided by June 30, 2017.
- Once eligibility has been determined and verified, a cheque will be mailed to the apprentice to the address in their MyTradesecrets account.
*If you have attended technical training since August 1, 2016, or are attending technical training right now, watch for notification on the homepage of your MyTradesecrets account starting on January 18, 2017.
What can I do today?
- Ensure your contact information is correct by logging into your MyTradesecrets account. You can check or edit your information on the Profile page.
- Bring or mail in your Notice of Release of Contract of Apprenticeship (Release) Card to any AIT office. See office locations. Submitting your Release Card will help establish that you are “Unemployed in the Trade.” You can verify if your Release Card has been sent by:
- logging onto your MyTradesecrets account.
- going to the Applications tab, and
- clicking 'Details' beside your apprenticeship application.
- Bring or mail in your record book so your hours are up-to-date. See office locations.
- Register and attend technical training.
NOTE: Apprentices registered to the Boilermaker or Ironworker Apprenticeship Administration Agencies do not have to submit their Notice of Release of Contract of Apprenticeship card. Unemployment will be confirmed by the apprentice’s agency.
For more information...
For more information regarding the Apprentice Training Award, see the AT Award Information Sheet or contact AIT by -