Apprentice & Occupational Trainee Scholarships
The Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship Program provides more than 370 annual scholarships of $1,000 each.
These scholarships recognize the excellence of Alberta apprentices in a trade and trainees in a designated occupation, and encourage recipients to complete their apprenticeship or occupational training programs.
The scholarship program is co-sponsored by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board, private industry and Alberta Advanced Education. For more information about the contributors to the scholarship fund see the list of Scholarship Donors.
How to Apply
Applications for the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship are now available. Click here to access the application.
Be sure to complete it fully. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline Date: July 15, 2016
The Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board has made the following adjustments to accommodate apprentices and their employers who were affected by Fort McMurray wildfires:
- the deadline for submitting a scholarship application has been extended to July 15, 2016 for all apprentices (including those apprentices not living or working in the Wood Buffalo region), and
- applications will be accepted without an employer recommendation for the 2016 scholarship year.
To receive an Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship, you must be both:
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; and
- an Alberta resident, as defined by Alberta Scholarship Programs.
To be eligible for an Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship in trades with more than one period of technical training, you must:
- be registered as an Alberta apprentice in a trade,
- have passed your first or subsequent period apprenticeship and industry training exam between July 1st and June 30th, and
- have at least one more period of technical training remaining in your program.
To be eligible for an Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship in trades with only one period of training, you must
- be registered as an Alberta apprentice, and
- have passed your apprenticeship and industry training exam between July 1st and June 30th.
Criteria for AIT Scholarships has Changed
Apprentices who are registered in trades with only 2 periods of technical training AND have completed both periods of training between July 1st - June 30th are now eligible to apply for an AIT Scholarship. This removes the requirement for apprentices in these trades to have one period of technical training remaining.
Trades with two periods of technical training include:
- Auto Body Refinisher
- Commercial Appliance Service Technician
- Concrete Finisher
- Floorcovering Installer
- Gasfitter (B)
- Ironworker - Metal Building Systems Erector
- Ironworker - Reinforcing
- Mobile Crane Operator
- Water Well Driller
Receiving your Scholarship Cheque
You must attend technical training in order to receive your scholarship cheque. Apprentices who chose to challenge the Apprenticeship and Industry Training exam are not eligible for payment. Only technical training that is part of a regular Alberta apprenticeship program is recognized for payment of scholarship awards. View the class schedule to determine if your technical training is eligible.
The Top Apprentice Scholarships recognize apprentices who have achieved both a very high academic standing in their technical training and a strong employer recommendation. Apprentices do not apply for the Top Apprentice Scholarships. The Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board determines the top apprentice for each scholarship based on an apprentice's technical training marks and other selection criteria established by the donor.
Selection of scholarship recipients is made by a committee established by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board.
Recipients are selected based on their marks. They are notified of the status of their application by November 1st.
Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarship recipients:
Top Apprentice Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to Alberta’s Top Apprentice Scholarship recipients: