Recruitment of board members is led by the Board Nominations Review Committee in consultation with Enterprise and Advanced Education, Human Resources.
Board members are recommended by the Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education and appointed by the Lieutenant Governor for a term of up to three years and may be re-appointed for an additional term of three years. Board members, once appointed, report to the Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education through the Board Chair.
Appointments are based on the candidate’s:
- knowledge and appreciation of Alberta’s apprenticeship and industry training system, training and certification in a trade or occupation and the needs of Alberta’s labour market,
- demonstrated leadership and commitment to industry,
- active and current level of experience as an employer or employee,
- awareness of issues affecting the education and training of adults,
- ability to communicate and deal effectively with Board members and interest groups, and
- strength in promoting training and certification in trades and occupations in the community.
Board members are appointed to ensure an appropriate balance of representation among:
- employers and employees,
- industry sectors (including forestry, utilities, construction & maintenance, automotive, service and manufacturing),
- trades and occupations, and
- geographic regions of Alberta.