Apprentice Mobility

Provincial-Territorial Apprentice Mobility Protocol and Agreement

Under the Provincial-Territorial (P-T) Apprentice Mobility Protocol, and the Apprentice Mobility Agreement, Canadian provinces and territories may recognize on-the-job apprenticeship education (hours) and technical training, and pre-apprenticeship training completed in the same trade in other jurisdictions.

Ministers responsible for apprenticeship in each jurisdiction signed the Provincial-Territorial (P-T) Apprentice Mobility Agreement, which identifies jurisdictional commitments to facilitate apprentices' abilities to temporarily move or permanently transfer between provinces and territories, and possibly receive recognition for on-the-job hours and technical training. This document creates the foundation that enables apprentices to pursue training anywhere in Canada.

The Protocol and Agreement applies to:

  • trades that are designated in both AB and the other jurisdiction,
  • apprentices who wish to:
    • Permanently Transfer - apprentices who wish to permanently transfer their apprenticeship to another jurisdiction, or
    • Temporarily Move - apprentices who wish to take on-the-job hours or technical training outside of their home jurisdiction.

Pre-apprenticeship Training

In order for Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) to recognize any pre-apprenticeship training from your home jurisdiction, that pre-apprenticeship training must be recognized in your home jurisdiction toward an apprenticeship program.

Each jurisdiction has their own rules and regulations; therefore, each jurisdiction is responsible for granting credit to the extent practicable.

Permanent Apprentice Transfer

Apprentices may receive recognition for on-the-job hours and/or technical training (classroom) successfully completed in the same, or equivalent trade, without the need to repeat training.  This may also apply to pre-apprenticeship programs and courses.

Permanent Transfer of your Apprenticeship to Alberta

As a registered apprentice in your home province/territory, you can transfer your apprenticeship program to Alberta. This may include your:

  • on-the-job hours,
  • technical training, and
  • examinations.

Before you leave your home province/territory:

  • ensure all of your on-the-job hours and technical training are reported to your apprenticeship authority, and
  • obtain an official copy of your apprenticeship progress (i.e. apprenticeship transcript) to bring with you to Alberta.
    • This document must be uploaded to your Alberta apprenticeship application.


AIT will verify the above information you provided with your home jurisdiction.

Some jurisdictions require your consent before they will confirm any personal information with AIT. Please check with your home jurisdiction about any additional consent document(s) that are required.


Permanent Transfer of your Alberta Apprenticeship to Another Canadian Jurisdiction

  • Ensure your Alberta apprenticeship information (on-the-job hours) is up-to-date.
  • The apprenticeship authority in the province/territory you transfer to contacts AIT to confirm your apprenticeship level, technical training completed and on-the-job hours recorded, and
    • any credit that may be granted by the new jurisdiction will be up to that province/territory once they have confirmed your information with AIT.

Click for other Canadian apprenticeship authorities

Temporary Apprentice Move

As a registered Alberta apprentice, you may be eligible to work temporarily or take technical training in another Canadian province/territory while continuing to be a registered Alberta apprentice.

Working Outside of Alberta

As of January 1, 2021, we will no longer be accepting Acceptance Cards for out-of-province employers.

If you have an out-of-province employer, you will be required to submit an employer letter from the out-of-province employer on company letterhead.

Please upload all required documents/information to your MTS account.

If your trade is designated in both Alberta and the other jurisdiction, you must do the following:

  1. When you've found an employer in the jurisdiction where you wish to work, you must submit an employer letter, on company letterhead, confirming:
    • trade you are employed in,
    • employer contact name and position,
    • employment start date, and
    • location where work is performed.
  2. After the employer letter is reviewed by AIT, a letter will be attached to your MTS account with further instructions.
  3. When you wish to submit on-the-job hours with your out-of-province employer toward your Alberta apprenticeship, you must submit an employer letter, on company letterhead, confirming your on-the-job work experience.
    • Click here for a copy of the “Canadian Employer Submitting Work Experience for an Alberta Apprentice” letter template.

If your trade is not designated in Alberta and/or the other jurisdiction, any on-the-job work experience accumulated outside of Alberta must be recommended by your current Alberta employer. See the 'Recommend Time Credit' template for your Alberta employer to complete. 

The above information will be verified with your out-of-province employer. For more details, review the Official Policy with regard to Alberta apprentices working in another Canadian jurisdiction. 

Taking Technical Training Outside of Alberta

If you wish to take your technical training outside of Alberta, please visit the Contact Us page and click on Apprentice Mobility.

Please include the following in your request:

  • your AIT ID number,
  • your date of birth,
  • the phone number the new jurisdiction may use to contact you,
  • the trade you are registered in as an Alberta apprentice,
  • the level of technical training you wish to take outside of Alberta (Note: you must submit a new request for each level you would like to take),
  • the jurisdiction and city (if possible) where you would like to take your technical training,
  • when you hope to take your technical training, and
  • why you wish to take technical training in that jurisdiction.

Temporarily Working or Attending Technical Training in Alberta

As a registered apprentice in another Canadian province/territory, you may be eligible to work temporarily or take technical training in Alberta while continuing to be a registered apprentice in your home jurisdiction. For more information, contact the apprenticeship authority in your home jurisdiction.

Click for other Canadian apprenticeship authorities.

More Resources

Visit these links for additional information regarding apprenticeship and apprentice mobility.

If you unable to find your answers on Tradesecrets, contact an Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training office or make general inquiries here.