Top Employer Award
The success of individual apprentices and Alberta’s Apprenticeship and Industry Training System is largely due to the efforts of employers.
The Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board’s Top Employer Award provides formal recognition to exceptional employers. Two awards are presented annually – for the North and South regions of Alberta.
Employers are nominated for the award by Apprenticeship and Industry Training Field Consultants.
A nominee for a Top Employer Award:
- demonstrates a strong support of apprenticeship training through:
- a long history of training apprentices;
- training apprentices in many different trades;
- providing opportunity (e.g., dual apprenticeships or dual certification opportunities, consistently hiring entry-level apprentices);
- participating in career fairs to promote apprenticeship training and careers in the trades;
- promoting apprenticeship training and careers in the trades in local schools, and to local businesses;
- participating in a Local or Provincial Apprenticeship Committee, or the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board;
- involvement in CAREERS: The Next Generation activities; and
- involvement in Skills Canada activities.
- works to increase the probability of an apprentice’s success in the trade by:
- providing an excellent training environment;
- encouraging strong work ethics;
- ensuring management is supportive of training (on-the-job, technical, additional); and
- expecting excellence in work performed.
- creates an environment of excellence where:
- apprentices experience most areas of their trade;
- career progress is acknowledged or rewarded; and
- opportunity for long-term employment (if realistic considering the nature of the trade).
The Top Employer Award is presented at the annual Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board Awards.
Top Employer Recipients:
- Manning Forest Products a Division of West Fraser
- PCL Builders Inc.
- Independent Electric & Controls Ltd., Drayton Valley
- Dunlop Group of Companies, Lethbridge
- Alberta Newsprint Company, Whitecourt
- Propak Systems Ltd., Airdrie
- Option Industries Inc.
- W. Pidhirney Welding Ltd.
- Fortis Alberta
- LaPrairie Crane Ltd.