Printer Friendly

Insulator (Heat and Frost)


Insulators (heat and frost) apply, remove and repair thermal and acoustical insulation (e.g. calcium silicate, glass foam, mineral wool, Styrofoam, fibreglass) on all types of commercial and industrial equipment (e.g. duct piping, heat exchangers, tanks, vessels).

In general, insulators (heat and frost):

  • read and interpret drawings and specifications to determine insulation requirements,
  • select the amount and type of insulation to be installed as well as a method of securing the insulation (e.g. spraying, pinwelding, wiring, pasting, strapping, taping) according to the type and shape of surface, whether or not the equipment is cold or hot, inside or outside, and what the equipment is going to be used for,
  • measure, cut and fit insulating material and coverings to the required shape and dimension,
  • install vapour barriers and finish insulated surfaces by applying metal cladding, canvas, plastic sheeting or cement.

For more information regarding tasks and activities, please review the Trade Regulation.


Working Conditions

Insulators (heat and frost) work both indoors and outdoors all year round in both commercial and industrial settings that may require travel.  They work with materials that may cause dust or debris when handled in work environments that may be hot or cold including live plants and fabrication facilities.  Insulators (heat and frost) must observe safety precautions and possibly wear protective equipment such as respirators, coveralls, gloves, steel-toed boots, hard hats and protective eyewear.

Insulators (heat and frost) typically work a 40-hour; however, overtime may be required to meet construction deadlines. Those employed in the maintenance and construction of industrial plants may be required to work shift work.


Skills and Abilities

The work is most rewarding for those who enjoy doing tasks precisely. It is also an occupation for people who prefer stability and security.

To be successful in their trade, insulators (heat and frost) must have:

  • manual dexterity,
  • the strength, stamina and ability to use proper lifting techniques to lift  items weighing up to 25 kilograms,
  • the ability to work at various elevations, in confined spaces and in hot and cold environments, and
  • the ability to work alone and in team environments.


Employment and Advancement

Insulators (heat and frost) are employed by construction companies, insulation contractors and industrial plants. This occupation is subject to business cycle swings which can lead to seasonal employment.

Journeyperson wage rates are competitive with other trades in similar industry sectors, but generally range from $30 to $42 an hour, plus benefits.

Insulators may advance to supervisory positions such as foreman, general foreman, site superintendent or other management opportunities. They may also advance to estimator positions. Estimators review blueprints for proposed work, determine how much material will be needed and how long the work will take.


Working in Alberta

To work as an insulator (heat and frost) in Alberta, a person must:

  • be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, hold a valid recognized credential, OR
  • work for an employer who is satisfied that the worker has the skills and knowledge expected of a certified journeyperson, OR
  • be self-employed

Individuals possessing a valid recognized credential in Alberta are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.


Apprenticeship Training

The term of apprenticeship for an insulator (heat and frost) is 3 years (three 12-month periods) including a minimum of 1517 hours of on-the-job training and 7 weeks of technical training each year.

  • An applicant who previously completed courses of study or work experience related to the insulator (heat and frost) trade or holds a related journeyperson certificate and has the employer's recommendation, may qualify for credit that could reduce the term of apprenticeship. Inquiries about credit for previously completed courses of study or work experience can be directed to an apprentice representative toll-free at 1-800-248-4823.
  • A person who has previous training or work experience in the trade and wants to determine their level of skill and knowledge for entry or advanced standing in an apprenticeship program may complete the online Prior Learning Assessment  Application.  
  • A high school student can become an apprentice and gain credits toward apprenticeship training and a high school diploma at the same time under the Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP).

To learn the skills required of an insulator (heat and frost) in Alberta and be issued an Alberta Journeyman Certificate, a person must:

Most employers prefer to hire high school graduates and may select apprentices from among their current employees.

For holders of an existing trade certificate, it can serve as your entrance requirement equivalency when registering in an additional trade.

  • complete the online Apprenticeship Application and Contract
  • pay the non-refundable application fee as part of the application process 
  • complete the required on-the-job training
    - during on-the-job training, apprentice insulators (heat and frost) earn at least 50 percent of the journeyperson wage rate in their place of employment in the first year, 60 percent in the second, and 70 percent in the third.
  • complete all program requirements as identified in the Course Outline
  • enroll in technical training
  • successfully complete all required (See Exam Counselling Sheets)
  • Technical Training Resource List
    • Each period of technical training requires apprentices to purchase specific resources and supplies.
    • Contact the training provider where you will be attending training for a complete list.

Apprentices may attempt the Interprovincial Exam in the final period of their apprenticeship training and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal.

Apprentices involved in the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) stream in high school may be eligible for credit towards their apprenticeship first period training. 

When apprentices attend technical training, they are required to pay the applicable tuition fee and purchase course supplies.

Student loans, grants, scholarships and other financial assistance may be available. For more information see Financial Assistance, visit an Apprenticeship and Industry Training office or call toll-free to 1-800-248-4823.


Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program

An insulator (heat and frost) who holds a valid trade certificate from Alberta or from another Canadian province or territory may apply to write the Interprovincial Exam and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal under the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. The Red Seal is recognized throughout most of Canada.

To prepare for the exam see the Exam Counselling Sheets and review available Resource Materials.


Qualification Certificate Program

For a Qualification Certificate based on a recognized credential or work experience in order to prepare for the exam(s) please refer to the Exam Counselling Sheets and review available Resource Materials.

Time spent on supervisory or foreman duties, counter work, heading the tool crib, or on training course is NOT counted as 'hands-on' work experience.


Equivalency Program

A person who holds a valid recognized credential does not require an Alberta equivalency document to work in the trade in Alberta.

However, some employers may require Alberta documentation as proof that the holder is allowed to work in the trade or that the holder's credential is recognized.

Click for more information on the Equivalency Program.