Equivalency Program

If you hold a valid recognized credential that does not have an Interprovincial Standards Red Seal endorsement you are eligible to apply for an Equivalency Card.

A person who holds a valid recognized credential does not require an Equivalency Card to work in Alberta. However, some employers may require Alberta documentation as proof that the credential holder is allowed to work in the trade, and that the holder's credential is recognized.

To obtain an Equivalency Card, a person must:

  • complete the Equivalency Program Online Application and submit your completed application,
  • acquire an Alberta Student Number (ASN) in order to apply for programs and services. To find or obtain an ASN, visit this website www.education.alberta.ca/students/asn.aspx,
  • provide a clear picture or scanned copy of the trade credential (DND applicants must provide their service number for verification), and 
  • pay the $60.00 non-refundable application fee as part of the application process.

Contact Apprenticeship and Industry Training with questions.