Interprovincial Red Seal
The Red Seal is a recognized standard in Canadian jurisdictions, one that employers look for as an indication of the skill and competency level of employees in the trades.
The Red Seal Program is pleased to announce the official recognition of the "RSE" acronym (Red Seal Endorsement) for qualified, skilled journeypersons! This creates an opportunity for individuals to easily reflect their qualifications while creating prestige for their credentials, in this case, the Red Seal Endorsement.
Tradespeople who hold a valid certificate with a Red Seal can work anywhere in Canada, including Alberta, without further training or examination.
Tradespeople who hold an expired trade certificate with a Red Seal can work in Alberta without further training or examination.
There are more than 50 Red Seal trades in Canada. (see list of Red Seal Trades in Alberta)
Certified tradespeople may obtain a Red Seal on their trade or occupation certificates by successfully completing an interprovincial standards examination.
If you have an Alberta certificate, complete the Interprovincial (Red Seal) Online Examination Application - Alberta. APPLY ONLINE NOW! and submit your completed application.
- An Alberta Student Number (ASN) is required to apply for programs and services. To find or obtain an ASN, visit this website for more information. www.education.alberta.ca/students/asn.aspx
- There is no fee for this application.
If you have a non-Alberta trade certificate, you must apply through the Qualification Certificate Program based on a recognized trade certificate
To qualify for a Red Seal, you must hold a valid certificate in a trade or occupation that participates in the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program, submit the correct application form (and fee), and successfully pass the Red Seal exam. Valid certificates include:
- an Alberta trade or occupational certificate in the Red Seal trade or occupation,
- an Alberta completion of apprenticeship certificate in the Red Seal trade,
- a certificate of qualification certificate in a Red Seal trade that was issued by another Canadian province or territory, or
- a certificate of qualification in the Red Seal occupation that was issued by another Canadian province or territory.
Learn more about the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program.
APPLY ONLINE NOW! and submit your completed application.