The Qualification Certificate Program provides experienced tradespeople with an opportunity to obtain an Alberta trade certificate.
You can obtain a trade certificate by demonstrating that your skills, knowledge and experience meet Alberta industry standards. Successful completion of one of more examinations is required.
There are two ways to obtain a Qualification Certificate:
Qualification Certificate Based On A Recognized Credential
If you hold a valid recognized trade certificate without a Red Seal and would like to obtain an Alberta trade certificate, complete the following steps:
Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training will verify your certificate with the issuing jurisdiction. If your application is approved, you will be scheduled to challenge the required exam(s).
Qualification Certificate Based On Work Experience
If you are an experienced tradesperson who does not hold a trade credential, or who holds a trade credential that is not recognized in Alberta, you may apply to have your skills, knowledge, and experience assessed against the standards for certification in an Alberta designated trade. You can earn your certificate if you:
- have the required time of hands-on work in the trade,
- pass a theory exam, and
- successfully complete a competency assessment. Depending upon the trade, this could be a practical exam or an employment declaration letter from your Alberta employer.
To obtain an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a designated trade based on a work experience, complete the following steps:
Apprenticeship and Industry Training will verify your work experience with your current and previous employers. If the assessment verifies that you have the required time in the trade, you will receive a letter that your application has been approved.
If you are applying under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program from outside of Canada, within seven (7) days of your arrival in Alberta, you must contact International and Provincial Assessment Services Branch and provide us with your Alberta address and the name of your Alberta employer.
- For more detailed information about the Qualification Certificate Program based on Work Experience, including the time of hands-on work required for each trade, download the application guide that applies to you.
- Information about translations of documents and exams, including the use of interpreters.
- Important resources and other information to help you prepare to write the Qualification Certificate Program exam.