Pre-apprentice Scholarships encourage those completing pre-apprenticeship training programs to continue in the trades and complete their training.
Introduced in 2008, Pre-apprentice Scholarships provide 11 annual scholarships of $1,000 each.
Funds for these scholarships are donated by industry. For more information about the donors to the scholarship fund, see the list of Scholarship Donors.
How to Apply
Applications for the Pre-Apprentice Scholarship are now available. Click here to access the application.
Be sure to complete it fully. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline Date: July 1, 2017
The Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board has made the following adjustments to accommodate apprentices and their employers who were affected by Fort McMurray wildfires:
- the deadline for submitting a scholarship application has been extended to July 15, 2016 for all apprentices (including those apprentices not living or working in the Wood Buffalo region), and
- applications will be accepted without an employer recommendation for the 2016 scholarship year.
To be eligible for a scholarship, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and an Alberta resident, as defined by Alberta Scholarship Programs;
- have successfully completed a recognized pre-apprenticeship program. Programs must include at least four weeks (120 hours) of trades-related instruction, not including work experience components;
- submit completed grades or proof of successful completion by June 30th;
- be a registered apprentice; and
- have demonstrated financial need.
Receiving your Scholarship Cheque
You will receive your scholarship cheque when you attend technical training.
Your attendance at the next period of technical training is confirmed by sending in the Confirmation of Enrolment Form to Alberta Scholarship Programs. They then send you a letter detailing how and when you will receive payment.
A committee established by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board selects scholarship recipients. Recipients are selected based on their marks, and, in some cases, on financial need. Applicants are notified of the status of their applications by November 1st.
Pre-apprentice Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to Alberta’s Pre-apprentice Scholarship recipients: