How Do I Get Started?
You can begin your apprenticeship by taking the following four steps.
Step 1: Do Your Research
- Visit the Trades and Occupations list to become familiar with your trade of interest.
- Talk to friends, family or others you meet who work in the trade.
Step 2: Find an Employer
- Conduct a standard job search using newspapers and online job posting sites.
- Tell everyone you know that you are looking for an apprenticeship position.
- If an employer says they are not hiring, ask if they know of another company that is.
More job searching resources are available through the Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS).
Step 3: Complete the Apprenticeship Application and Contract
- Complete the Online Apprenticeship Application and Contract. - APPLY ONLINE Now!
- There is a $35 application fee required for apprenticeship training applications. Fees are non-refundable.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents are eligible for training in an apprenticeships program.
- An Alberta Student Number (ASN) is required to apply for programs and services.
- To find or obtain an ASN, click for more information.
Step 4: Consider How to Finance Your Education
Although you earn a wage for every day you are on the job, depending on your circumstances, you may need student aid to help finance your post-secondary education. Registered apprentices in Alberta may be eligible for financial assistance.