Achievement in Business Competencies (Blue Seal) Program
If you have a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, Alberta Occupational Certificate or a valid recognized trade certificate you are eligible to apply for a Blue Seal Certificate.
The Blue Seal Certificate is geared for certified tradespeople who want to develop their business skills. A Blue Seal Certificate is evidence that a tradesperson not only meets Alberta’s high industry standards, but has the knowledge and drive to succeed in business. Tradespeople who complete the Blue Seal program may move into leadership, supervisory, entrepreneurial and other roles.
There are 18 business subject areas you may study.
To obtain a Blue Seal Certificate you must:
- complete a program of study approved by the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board, or
- complete 150 hours of study in one or more of the subject areas provided by an approved training provider, and
- fully complete the Blue Seal Application and submit it for registration.
- An Alberta Student Number (ASN) is required to apply for programs and services. To find or obtain an ASN, visit this website for more information. www.education.alberta.ca/students/asn.aspx
- pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee as part of the application process
- Submit official transcripts and supporting documentation during the application process.
Ask any questions of your nearest Apprenticeship and Industry Training office.
Training Institutions for the Blue Seal Program
Business training for the Blue Seal Certificate can be completed at the following training institutions.
- Public Colleges
- Bow Valley College Calgary, Alberta
- Grande Prairie Regional College Grande Prairie, Alberta
- Keyano College Fort McMurray, Alberta
- Lakeland College Vermillion, Alberta
- Lethbridge College Lethbridge, Alberta
- Medicine Hat College Medicine Hat, Alberta
- NorQuest College Edmonton, Alberta
- Northern Lakes College Lesser Slave Lake, Alberta
- Olds College Olds, Alberta
- Portage College Lac La Biche, Alberta
- Red Deer College Red Deer, Alberta
- Private University Colleges
Business training delivered by other providers, such as colleges from other provinces, will be considered. Contact your nearest Apprenticeship and Industry Training office for more information.
- Briercrest College and Seminary Saskatchewan
- British Columbia Institute of Technology Burnaby, B.C.
- Cape Breton University Nova Scotia
- CDI College
- Dale Carnegie Courses
- Dalhousie University Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Durham College Ontario
- Eastern College Newfoundland
- George Washington University, Washington D.C.
- Georgian College Ontario
- Institute de technologie agroalimentaire Quebec
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University College B.C.
- McMaster University Hamilton, Ontario
- Memorial University St. John's Newfoundland
- National Seminars Training
- Red River College Manitoba
- Royal Roads University, BC
- Sir Sandford Fleming College Peterborough, Ontario
- Thompson Rivers University Kamloops, B.C.
- University of Ottawa Ontario
- Universite of Quebec Trois – Rivieres, Quebec
- Baldwin Wallace College/University Ohio USA
- University of New Brunswick St.John's, New Brunswick
- University of Windsor Ontario
- Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology Nepean,Ontario
- Mohawk College Hamilton, Ontario
- San Diego State University California
- Niagara College Canada Iagara, Ontario
- College of the North Atlantic Stephenville, Newfoundland
- Universite du Quebec en Outaouais Gatineau, Quebec
- Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC)
- Lakehead University Thunder Bay/Orillia, Ontario
- Vancouver Community College Vancouver, B.C.
- Queens' University Kingston, Ontario
- Delaware Technical Community College Georgetown, Delaware, USA
- New Brunswick Community College Saint John, New Brunswick
Board-approved programs of study for full credit for the Blue Seal Certificate
Board-approved programs for partial credit toward a Blue Seal Certificate
Each of these programs, or two in combination, must be taken with other approved Blue Seal Program(s) to accumulate the total of 150 hours of study necessary to apply for the Blue Seal Certificate.