Qualify based on certification from outside Alberta

Apply for the Trades Qualifier - Work Experience program to qualify for your Alberta Journeyperson Certificate if:

  • you have a recognized trade certificate that you earned outside of Alberta, and 
  • you want to qualify for an Alberta Journeyperson Certificate. 

Visit our recognized credentials directory to see if your certificate is recognized.

If your certificate is recognized, you can work in your trade anywhere in Alberta. You do not need to apply for this program or register with us unless you want an Alberta Journeyperson Certificate.

  • An Alberta Journeyperson Certificate is required if you want to write a Red Seal exam in your trade in Alberta. 
  • The Alberta Journeyperson Certificate is well-recognized and respected by employers across the province.  


To apply, you must:

How it Works

Detailed, step-by-step program information is available here. An overview is provided below. 

1. Submit an online application with a copy of your trade certificate. 

We will verify your certificate with the issuing jurisdiction. 

2. Complete your exam(s)

Pass a theory exam to demonstrate that you have the knowledge and understanding required for your trade. A practical exam is also required in some trades

 Learn more

Are you an expert in one or more of Alberta’s skilled Trades?

Apply to become a member of the My Skilled Trades Network and share your feedback with us to have a say in the future of your trade!

Once you respond, we won't ask you again during this session.